1. Cheonggyecheong Stream
– City Hall Station (Seoul Subway Line 1, 2), Exit 4. Walk 250 m north to Cheonggye Plaza.
2. Deoksugung Palace
– City Hall Station (Seoul Subway Line 1, 2), Exit 2.
– Go straight 100m to arrive at Daehanmun Gate on the right.
– 5 minutes walk from Cheongyecheon Stream
3. Sejong Center
– Gwanghwamun Station (Seoul Subway Line 5), Exit 1 or 8.
– City Hall Station (Seoul Subway Line 1 or 2), Exit 3.
– Walk 10min towards Gwanghwamun Station.
– 10 minutes walk from Deoksugung
4. Gyeongbokgung Palace
– Gyeongbokgung Station (Subway Line 3), exit 5.
– Ganghwamun Station (Subway Line 5), exit 2 and walk 400 meters.
– Exit gwangwamun
– 5 minutes walk from Sejong Center
Admission Fee: Adults (ages 19-64) 3,000 won
Interpretation Services (1 hour):
* English: 11:00, 13:30, 15:30
January 1-December 31 (Closed on Tuesdays)
10:00-15:00(6 times a day/on the hour)
5. Namdaemun Market
– Hoehyeon Station (Subway Line 4), Exit 5
1. Shinsegae Mall
– Hoehyeon Station (Subway Line 4), Exit 7.
– Mall opens at 1030am
– Food Garden at 10th Floor
2. Korean War Memorial
– Samgakji Station (Subway Lines 4, 6), Exit 12.
– It is 5min away from the station
– Closed on Mondays
– Opens at 9am
3. Bukchon Hanok Village
– Anguk Station (Seoul Subway Line 3), Exit 2.
– Go straight for about 300m to arrive at Bukchon Hanok Village
Tip:- Drop by Tourist Information Center and get a copy of area map
4. Changdeokgung Palace
– Anguk Station (Subway Line 3), Exit 3.
– Go straight for 5min.
– Jongno 3(sam)-ga Station (Subway Line 1, 3 or 5), Exit 7.
– Go straight along Donhwamun-ro Street for 10min.
– 10 minutes walk from Bukchon Hanok Village
5. Myeongdong Shopping Street
– Myeong-dong Station (Seoul Subway Line 4), Exit 5, 6, 7, or 8.
– Euljiro Il-ga Station (Seoul Subway Line 2), Exit 5
Things to buy:
Cosmetics – watch out for freebies (note:30,000 up=tax refund)
Things to try:
b. tteokboki roll
c. Dried squids
d. Egg muffin
e. Korean bread/pan cake
– Book via a local tour agency
2. Lotte Mart
– Euljiro 1(il)-ga Station (Seoul Subway Line 2)
– Lotte Department Store (Main Branch) is directly connected to the station.
Things to buy:
a. scorched rice candy
c. real brownie by orion
d. seaweed snacks
e. banana flavored milk by binggrae
1. Tapgol Park
– JJongno 3(sam)-ga Station (Subway Line 1, 3, 5), Exit 1
– walk 5 minutes toward Jonggak.
2. Insa-dong / Ssamziegil mall
– Anguk Station (Seoul Subway Line 3), Exit 6.
– Go 100m straight, then turn left
– Jonggak Station (Seoul Subway Line 1), Exit 3.
– Go straight 300m, and turn left at the 4-way Intersection
– Go straight 100m, and take the left road towards Insadong-gil Road
– 5 minutes walk from Tapgol Park
– Starbucks is only branch in Korea where outside signage is written in hangul
3. Jogyesa Temple
– Jonggak Station (Subway Line 1), Exit 2.
– Go 70m forward, then cross the street.
– Go 100m more to arrive at a path to Jogyesa Temple.
– Anguk Station (Subway Line 3), Exit 6.
– Go 50m forward, then cross the street in front of Dongduk Gallery.
– Go 50m more to arrive at a path to Jogyesa Temple.
– Gwanghwamun Station (Subway Line 5), Exit 2.
– Go 150m forward to arrive at a path to Jogyesa Temple between YTN Parking Tower and Hana Bank
– 5 minutes walk from Ssamziegil mall
4. Gwangjang Market – dinner
– Jongno 5-ga station (subway line 1), exit 8
– Eujiro 5-ga station (subway line 2,4), exit 4
– Best place to buy silk, fabrics
– Shops close at 6pm then food stalls open up
– 12,000 per meal (can be shared)
Things to try
– pancake made from ground mung beans with various meats and vegetables
– 4000-5,000 each
b. makgeolli (traditional Korean rice wine)
c. mayak gimbap, literally “drug gimbap,” bite-sized rice and dried seaweedrolls
d. Sundae, or Korean-style black pudding (made of pig’s intestines stuffed with cellophane noodles, barley and pork blood)
– 5-6,000 per serving
e. Tteokboki (chewy rice cake) and fish paste in seaweed soup
1. Bank of Korea Museum
– Namdaemun Market
2. Shinsegae Mall
– Hoehyeon Station (Subway Line 4), Exit 7
Additional Places to See:
1. Dongdaemun – shopping/ street food tripping
Zone 2 – recommended for shopping/ best to go after 10pm
Regular top – 20-30,000
APM mall and Migliore mall – cheaper clothes
Things to Try:
a. Giant sausage coated with fries
b. Oksusu Cha (roasted corn kernel tea)
2. Nami Island
a. BUS – recommended*
Shuttle Bus Schedule:
– Insa-dong, Jamsil Station → Namiseom Island: 09:30
– Namiseom Island → Insa-dong, Jamsil Station: 16:00*
1) Insa-dong (Jonggak Station, Subway Line 1, Exit 3): Next to Tapgol Park
2) Jamsil Station (Subway Line 2, Exit 4): In front of Lotte Mart
Round Trip:- 23000 won for round trip ticket + entrance visa to Nami Island + ferry ticket.
– 50 minutes from port to Gapyeong wharf
b. SUBWAY – too many transfers
– go to Sangbong Station (line no.7) and take Gyeongchun Line. It takes about 45 minutes to reach Gapyeong Station (1800 won one way).
– Get off at Gapyeong Station, take a taxi to Namiseom parking lot (travel time: 10-15min, 3000 won).
– Take the ferry from Namiseom Dock to Namiseom Island. (travel time: 5-6min)
3. Tongin Market
– From Gyeongbokgung Station (Seoul Subway Line 3) take exit 2 and contniue straight for about 700m. The market will be on your left.
NOTA BENE: This itinerary has been scheduled this way to accommodate my elderly parents’ physical limitations and interests.